Thursday, July 16, 2009

Life in Lyon Update

Went to see Harry Potter yesterday. Can't believe I made it in to the first showing at 11am--there was a bit of a line. But it was about 3€ cheaper so that was good. 

So, being in Lyon (a bigger city) I got to see it VOST which means it's the original version with French subtitles. After sitting through all the ads previews finally started. These were all in French and literally lasted 30 minutes! Previews didn't even start until 11:30! The only good one was for Nissan and featured a dance off between two brands of cars... It's how I thought driving a car should go... maybe I should get a Nissan. Hmmm. I could only find the English version--it was a little different in French. O-well, it's still awesome--it's like Step-up with your car! I really didn't think Step-up could EVER be topped. Wow.



And then there was this preview for "Totally Spies"... Apparently it has had some playing time in the US recently as well, but it is EVERYWHERE here. I just found myself thinking as I watched this preview "Is this really how they (the French) see us (the Americans)?" It is an originally French cartoon (I believe, from the little research I could stand doing) but takes place in Hollywood. Yeah. Anyway, it's very popular here. 

Then they played other previews. I'm not sure if you have seen the preview for 2012 with John Cusack but it's another Independence Day/Day After Tomorrow/Cloverfield kind of epic destruction kind of movie. So of course it contains the typical, iconic shots of important buildings and landmarks being 
destroyed. For example, in the 2012 preview there is a shot of an aircraft carrier rolling over and flattening the White House. I kid you not--there were titters and smatterings of applause throughout the packed theatre... I slide self-consciously lower in my seat.

So, yeah. That was fun/funny/awkward/disappointing. The movie was good. But now it's back to work. Hurray for doing an in depth inventory of my local grocery store! 

2 comments:

Tay said...

It's always fun to see what French people think of not-French people and Americans. Yes, I am so prideful as to think the French have a whole category just for Americans.

AJones said...

Aren't these the same folks who regard Jerry Lewis as a comic genius?