Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Liberal Elite Media

I think that both sides can safely agree that both sides, at some point or another, have played dirty. Now, we all know who we each think played dirtier, but that's not what I want to talk about. The question I would put out to this mass series of tubes is this: Does the media simply cover these tactics or do they add to it? Is what they do ethical? Is it journalism?

I have to say that, having just talked in class about the difference between "neutrality" and an "independence of spirit", I realize that the line is blurred at best. But what is the answer? How do you simply report on something that is personally offensive to you? Is it possible to separate oneself from emotion when reporting a topic that emotionally charged or controversial? Is that something we should even want to do?

2 comments:

maryjane said...

The line definitely is blurred but I do think it is important for a journalist to cover stories with as little bias as possible. I think it all depends on the journalist and how professional they choose to be. Yes, it is possible to separate oneself from emotion but every journalist has to choose to do so.

kmorrill said...

Ok, not sure if I understnad your question right, but I'm going to see if I can convey what I am thinking... I think that by covering tactics, journalists blow up the tactics politicians use. Maybe the journalist does have good intentions and doesn't mean to involve personal biases, but in covering tactics they may appear to be taking sides, but really theya are just covering the news. I think it is Ok if your emotions are evident in your writing, as long as you present information in an objective way, and are transparent about it.